Modern Change is currently In-Network with United Health Care, UMR. Optum, Cigna, Aetna, Ambetter, MedCost and Blue Cross Blue Shield (including the State Health Plan).
**Please note that some providers in the practice may not be able to accept ALL of these insurance plans. You can check on the individual provider’s page and with them directly to make sure they can accept your specific insurance carrier/plan.**
For all other insurance carriers, we are considered out of network. We are also out of network for certain BCBS plans including BlueHome, BlueValue and BlueLocal.
- For self-pay, there is a flat rate – $140 per session
- In some circumstances, we can talk about a slightly reduced self-pay fee
Some questions to ask your insurance company
- Does my health insurance plan include mental health benefits?
- Do I have to pay a copay for mental health services or do I have to pay my deductible?
- If it is a copay, is it my specialist copay or primary?
- If it is my deductible, have I met it? How much is left?
- If I have met my deductible, what is the co-insurance percentage I am responsible for paying my provider?
- Does my plan limit how many sessions per calendar year I can have? If so, what is the limit?
- Do I need written approval/a referral from my primary care physician in order for services to be covered?
Out Of Network Benefits
We can provide you a receipt for your services or “superbill” that you can submit to your insurance company directly for them to reimburse you. In this situation, you still pay the full fee for your session to me, but your insurance company may provide you with some of that money back directly to you. Any insurance reimbursement requires your services meet medical necessity, which means you must have a mental health diagnosis to qualify for reimbursement. If you have questions about this, we can talk about it further.
We currently accept all major credit cards as forms of payment.
If you are unable to attend a session, please make sure you cancel at least 24 hours beforehand. Otherwise, you may be charged for the full self-pay rate of $140 for a missed session or session cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. Your insurance will not cover any portion of a missed session.
Good Faith Estimate
You have the right to receive a “Good Faith Estimate” explaining how much your medical care will cost. Under the law, health care providers need to give patients who don’t have insurance or who are not using insurance an estimate of the bill for medical items and services.
- You have the right to receive a Good Faith Estimate for the total expected cost of any non-emergency items or services. This includes related costs like medical tests, prescription drugs, equipment, and hospital fees.
- Make sure your health care provider gives you a Good Faith Estimate in writing at least 1 business day before your medical service or item. You can also ask your health care provider, and any other provider you choose, for a Good Faith Estimate before you schedule an item or service.
- If you receive a bill that is at least $400 more than your Good Faith Estimate, you can dispute the bill.
- Make sure to save a copy or picture of your Good Faith Estimate. For questions or more information about your right to a Good Faith Estimate, visit www.cms.gov/nosurprises or call 800-985-3059.
Any Other Questions
Please contact us for any additional questions you may have related to payment or insurance. We look forward to hearing from you!
Modern Change accepts health insurance for psychotherapy in Durham, NC.